Essential Enzymes is a Bio-Aligned Formula, designed to ensure that you absorb the full nutritional value of your food. Essential Enzymes supports your body's systems for digestion of multiple food groups: carbohydrates, protein, fat and fiber. Each capsule contains 500 mg of an all-vegetarian, broad-spectrum blend of digestive enzymes.
ESSENTIAL ENZYMES is one of Source Naturals’ most popular formulas—customers buy it again and again. Why? ESSENTIAL ENZYMES is uniquely effective because it addresses systems, not just symptoms.
ESSENTIAL ENZYMES is a Bio-Aligned Formula that goes deep to the root cause of digestive imbalances and assists you in getting more of the nutritional value of the food you eat. It is expertly designed to support your systems for digestion of multiple food groups: carbohydrates, protein, fat and fiber.
A Bio-Aligned Formula
ESSENTIAL ENZYMES is designed to bring alignment to the multiple, interconnected systems that influence digestion. The formula includes food grade enzymes that function in a range of different pH (acidity) levels found in the digestive tract. As a result, different enzymes are available to break down food molecules in the various stages of digestion.
Carbohydrate Digestive System
The first step in digestion occurs in the mouth, where the digestion of carbohydrates is initiated. Amylase, the enzyme contained in saliva, converts starch (a form of carbohydrate) into simpler sugars. This process is completed when the pancreas secretes more amylase into the small intestine. Lactase supports the breakdown of lactose (sugar from milk) that many populations are unable to digest. ESSENTIAL ENZYMES supports carbohydrate digestion with lactase, to break down milk sugar, and amylase and amyloglucosidase to break down starch.
Protein Digestive System
In the stomach, food is broken down further by churning and by the action of the gastric juice, which contains pepsin and hydrochloric acid. Pepsin, a protease enzyme that depends on the highly acidic (pH 1.5 to 2.5) environment of the stomach for functioning, begins the process of breaking down protein into peptides and amino acids. The food, at this stage called “chyme,” then continues on to the alkaline (pH 7.0 to 8.0) environment of the small intestine, where the intestinal and pancreatic proteases complete protein digestion. ESSENTIAL ENZYMES supports protein digestion with two forms of protease enzymes, acid-stable protease and vegetal analog of pancreatin.
Fat Digestive System
Fat digestion occurs in the initial section of the small intestine. The liver produces bile salts and acids, and stores them in the gall bladder. Bile emulsifies fats, breaking them apart into droplets. In this form they can be attacked by the pancreatic enzyme called lipase that helps break down fat into glycerides and fatty acids. Bile and pancreatic fluid together neutralize stomach acid, which is essential because the intestinal enzymes function only at a pH of 7 to 8. ESSENTIAL ENZYMES supports fat digestion with the enzyme lipase.
Fiber Digestive System
Fiber—found in foods such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables—provides bulk to enable the large intestine to work effectively. It also helps regulate the nutrient absorption in the small intestine. The breakdown of certain fibers may add further benefit. Cellulase and hemicellulase break down plant cell walls in fibrous foods, thereby making available nutrients within these cells. ESSENTIAL ENZYMES supports fiber digestion with the enzymes cellulase and hemicellulase.
Strategies for Wellness Healthy Digestion Plan
Simple nutritional choices and lifestyle patterns are important to your strategy for digestive health.
- Eat Slowly-Savor Your Food: We often make the mistake of wolfing food down so we can move on to the next activity in our busy lives. But digestion functions better when we take the time to slow down. The parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for enhancing circulation to the digestive organs and promoting the flow of digestive juices—but we must be relaxed for our parasympathetic nervous system to predominate.
- Eat Well: You should eat a balanced whole foods diet, with lots of fiber for proper elimination. The FDA has set the Daily Value for fiber at 25 grams, based on a 2,000-calorie diet, but research indicates that 40-60 grams may be most beneficial. Good dietary sources include whole grains (whole wheat bread, bran cereal, whole oats, brown rice, etc.), fresh fruits and vegetables, and dried beans such as black beans, pintos and chick peas. Live-culture yogurt contains “friendly” bacteria such as acidophilus or bifidus, which are important for balanced intestinal flora and healthy digestion. Avoid substances that seem to irritate your digestive system—common offenders are caffeine, chocolate, fatty foods, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, and dairy foods.
- Drink Plenty of Water: It is important to drink water, juices, and other beverages to supply fluid for digestion. Poor fluid intake, either at meals or in between, slows the movement of waste in the large intestine. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily.
- Avoid Stress: Physiologically, we are “wired” to assimilate food in a state of relaxation. If we are in flight or fight mode when we eat we may experience a “short circuit” in the digestive process.
- Get Enough Exercise: Doctors are not sure why, but regular exercise helps your system stay active and healthy. Try to walk at least 30 minutes three times per week.
- Supplement Your Diet: ESSENTIAL ENZYMES is now available in both regular and vegetarian (cellulose) capsules. Try Source Naturals friendly flora including ACIDOPHILUS and NUTRAFLORA FOS (fructooligosaccharides), as well as PSYLLIUM fiber for further digestive support.
1 capsule with water at the beginning of each meal (or open capsule and sprinkle over food). If the meal is very large or unusually high in fat or protein, a second capsule can be taken after eating. Do not sprinkle on hot food.
*Daily Value not established.
Do not use if either tamper-evident seal is broken or missing. Keep out of the reach of children.
|Name||Source Naturals, Daily Essential Enzymes 500 mg 120 vegetarian capsules|