Flaxseed has been attributed as a cancer-protecting health food, especially breast cancer. When flaxseed is consumed, it is then broken down into a chemical known as lignans.
There are three types of lignans in the body:
Researchers believe that these lignans have the power to slow down the process of cancerous cells forming. Flaxseed is also a great source of omega-3 acids. The omega-3 acids disrupts the growth of cancer cells as it prevents malignant cells from sticking to healthy blood cells. Flaxseed have anti-angiogenic properties, which also helps to stop or disrupt the tumor cells from developing new blood vessels.
Other Health Benefits Of Flaxseeds
- Lowering Cholesterol - The Nutrition And Wellness Center in Iowa University reported that according to their clinical studies, flaxseed has shown significant lowering of cholesterol of men who have incorporated flaxseed in their daily diet. Also, for people who are not advised to take Lipitor, flaxseed is an alternative that is worth trying for lowering cholesterol.
- Hot Flashes Prevention - According to the studies of the Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology, flaxseed is able to decrease the risk and onset of hot flashes, especially for postmenopausal women. Furthermore, aside from the hot-flashes prevention, it also increases the overall psychological and health level.
- Blood Sugar Improvement - Nutrition Research has published a study that shows that integrating flaxseed into the daily diet can improve glycemic control, especially for women with pre-diabetes and obese men.
- Radiation Protection - Perelman School Of Medicine has revealed that according to their research, flaxseed strongly suggest that it is able to protect skin tissues from radiation damage.
What Exactly is Flaxseed?
Flaxseed are seeds that come from a crop plant known as Linum usitatissimum. Flaxseed has to two major types: the brown flax seed and golden flaxseed. The nutritional profile of the two is very similar, and contain the same amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseed is also an excellent source of fiber, minerals, and vitamins. They can be consumed in many different ways and recipes.
Forms Of Flaxseed
- Flaxseed Oil - If you are consuming flaxseed for the sole purpose of the omega-3 acids, the flaxseed oil is the best option.
- Ground Flaxseed - This is the best option if you are consuming flaxseed for its dietary fiber and omega-3 acids.
- Whole Flaxseed - If you wish to store flaxseed, then whole flaxseeds are the way to go as it is protected and compact, which reduces the degradation rate of the oils. Furthermore, whole flaxseed gives you the option to have ground flaxseed whenever you need it.
Flaxseed is a crop plant that has been cultivated for centuries. It offers lots of health benefits including cancer protection, improving blood sugar, preventing hot flashes, cholesterol control and radiation protection. You are able to acquire or consume flaxseed in oil, ground or whole form.