My husband showed off his bloody knuckles to me last night. No, he doesnâ€™t do manual labor for a living and he didnâ€™t get into a fist fight (unless you count wrestling with Old Man Winter and battling his wretchedly cold breath). Frigid winter air just seems to be especially harsh on his skin and it doesnâ€™t help that he does little to prevent the problem.
So hereâ€™s what I told him:
- Cover up. Start wearing gloves to protect the hands. A hat, scarf, or hood will help to shield the face as well. It seems like an obvious step to preventative skin care, but covering oneâ€™s skin and shielding it from extreme cold is a practice that many people skip.
- Skip the extra long hot shower. Yes, it feels luxurious (especially after being out in the cold), but that hot water will dry out the skin. Better to take a quick warm shower and then rub on some moisturizer.
- Look for a moisturizer that is rich in vitamin E - a superhero among vitamins. Vitamin E utilizes its antioxidant properties in order to protect skin and reduce the signs of aging. Try Avalon Organics, Hand & Body Lotion Aloe Unscented 32 fl oz
- Keep up the exercise regime. Working out promotes healthy blood circulation. This, in turn, helps to keep that epidermis glowing. (Tip: When exercising outside in the winter it is imperative to still wear sunscreen! Though the sunâ€™s rays are not as harsh during the winter months they are still there and they can still wreck havoc with a personâ€™s skin.)
- Avoid the harsh skin care products. Itâ€™s easier to get away with more abrasive scrubs and stronger astringents in the summer when skin is naturally more oily. During the winter, use an alcohol free cleanser, such as Avalon Organics, Facial Cleansing Milk Lavender For Sensitive Skin 7 fl oz.
Hopefully my husband can get in the habit of preventative winter skin care. Bloody knuckles are no fun (unless youâ€™ve got a really cool story to go with them - and â€œThe cold air beat me upâ€ probably wonâ€™t cut it).
Follow healthdesigns on Twitter to get the latest on health news, tips, and recipes. We also have some spectacular weekly giveaways. Check it out!