Sure, getting all your groceries at the supermarket is easy. One-stop shopping. But what may seem like the easiest option isnâ€™t always the healthiest or smartest. Lately, more and more health and environmental advocates are touting the importance of buying locally grown fruits and vegetables. Not sure what all the fuss is about? Check out these top reasons for buying local produce:
- Itâ€™s fresh and tasty. Those apples that you bought at the supermarket were picked 4 to 7 days before being placed on the store shelves (where produce can sit for up to a week). Locally grown fruits and vegetables are picked a day or two before being sold to the customer. This means that locally grown produce tastes much better than supermarket counterparts.
- Itâ€™s more nutritious. Fruits and vegetables begin to loose nutrients once they are picked. Day old farmerâ€™s market vegetables have a heck of a lot more nutrients then week and a half old supermarket veggies.
- Itâ€™s energy efficient. On average, supermarket food travels 1500 miles (usually by air or truck) before you put it in your shopping cart. Thatâ€™s a lot of gasoline. If you buy locally you drastically cut back on energy expenses. This in turn makes for a happier and healthier planet.
- Itâ€™s a community builder. When was the last time you chatted with the person who personally picked your cucumbers? Buying local produce fosters a sense of community and trust. Youâ€™ll know exactly where your fruits and vegetables come from. Plus you can learn more about different types of produce, understand agriculture better, and be a supporter of family businesses.
- Itâ€™s cost-efficient. When you purchase locally grown produce the money goes straight to the farmer. Thereâ€™s no additional overhead cost for transportation or stocking fees. Generally, farmers get less than 20% from supermarket produce sales. Help yourself (and your local farmers) by skipping the supermarket and heading to the local produce stand.
Donâ€™t forget to supplement your local produce-infused diet with natural vitamins and organic snacks. Visit healthdesigns where you can Buy Vitamins, Health Supplements, Herbs & Minerals Online.