Spring and summer vacation plans are in the works. Work conferences are on the calendar. And with all the hustle, bustle, packing, and unpacking, the last thing you have time for is sickness! Sure, you take your daily vitamins and wash your hands before you eat, but staying healthy while traveling can be extra tricky. Out of its regular environment, your body is more susceptible to germs, fatigue, and illness. And before you know it, youâ€™re coughing, sneezing, and aching all over.
This year, donâ€™t risk another miserable vacation or business trip. Abide by these tried and true tips for staying healthy while traveling:
- Pack your medicine cabinet. Well, not the whole thing. But make sure to bring along sunscreen (and use it daily), a pocket first-aide kit, allergy medications, prescriptions, and daily vitamins and minerals.
- Be a picky eater. Airline food is usually low in protein and high in carbs. Youâ€™ll get a slight energy rush, but will soon feel tired and hungry again. Instead, look for a sandwich shop at or near the airport and order a turkey on wheat with lots of veggies. Likewise, be extra choosy when it comes to eating out while traveling. Just because prime rib and cheesecake is within your travel budget (or being paid for by the boss) doesnâ€™t mean you should have it.
- Visit the hotel gym. Donâ€™t just pack your gym shoes and say you will. Do it! Just be extra careful to wash your hands after working out. The gym equipment may or may not have been cleaned recently. And if you donâ€™t have a gym, then go on a jog. Or, do sets of lunges, jumping jacks, push-ups, and crunches in your room.
- Keep your hands off and shoes on. If you donâ€™t have to touch it then keep your hands off. This means animals, stair rails, doors, light switches, etc... Youâ€™ll also want to keep your shoes on whenever possible to avoid any weird foot fungi. (Tip: bring a pair of flip flops to wear in the shower - just in case!)
- Get lots of water and lots of rest. Keep a water bottle on you at all times and stay hydrated. Try not to stay up too late doing work or watching movies. Getting enough shut-eye will help your body to recoup and battle any germs it may have contracted.
And as always, continue to taking your daily vitamins (and maybe some extra vitamin C). Place an order at healthdesigns.com before your next trip. You can Buy Vitamins, Health Supplements, Herbs & Minerals Online. Plus, you can follow healthdesigns on Twitter and receive exclusive health tips and discounts on your favorite health products!