Mardi Gras is in full swing - and what better way to celebrate than with FOOD. This jambalaya recipe is packed full of protein and is perfect for any time of the year.
8 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded
8 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup diced tomatos
2 cups chicken broth
1. Heat a large pot on high heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté until golden brown. Stir in celery, green pepper and garlic.
2. Turn heat down to medium. Add thyme, bay leaf, paprika, peppers and rice. Stir for 5 min.
3. Add chicken, tomatoes and broth. Turn heat back up to high until boils. Once boiling, turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. After 20 minutes, check if rice is tender and most liquid is absorbed. If there is too much liquid, keep simmering.
5. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add to pot. Cover for 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from pot when it is pink. Season with parsley.
NUTRITION FACTS/ MACROS (for entire recipe)
Protein 104 g
Carbs 162 g
Fat 7 g
Calories 1127 g