All of us have probably enjoyed a soda at least once in our lifetime. It should be common sense that soda isn't that great for your health. In fact, there's many negative effects that soda does to our bodies that a lot of us don't even know about. Here's just some things you may not have thought about or known about on how soda can impact our health and should make you think the next time you're about to pick up that Dr. Pepper.
- Obesity- This is probably the most obvious one, but one we still need to think about. The relationship between soft drinks and body weight is so strong that researchers have calculated that each additional soda consumed, the risk of obesity increases 1.6 times! That's a good enough reason right there to stop drinking these sugar filled beverages.
- Reproductive issues- Some sodas are actually coated with BPA, which is a resin found in plastic bottles. It is linked to causing cancer and many reproductive problems such as premature puberty.
- Asthma- Sodium benzoate, found in soda, is used as a preservative in foods. These preservatives add sodium to the diet and reduces the availability of potassium. Some reported reactions to sodium benzoate include recurring asthma and eczema.
- Accelerated Aging- As if soda side effects couldn't get bad enough, here's one that'll really make you think! All sodas contain phosphates, or phosphoric acid, a weak acid that gives colas their tangy flavor and improves their shelf life. Researchers found that excessive levels of phosphoric acid caused lab rats to die in a full five weeks earlier than the rats whose diets had more normal phosphate levels. This is even more disturbing since soda companies have been increasing the levels of phosphoric acid in their products over the past few decades!
- Tooth Decay- Sugar and acid in soft drinks easily dissolve tooth enamel and can also create many cavities!
- Osteoporosis- Again with that familiar word, phosphoric acid, this chemical has also been associated with bone breakdown and an increased risk of osteoporosis, so if you have a choice between soda and milk, I'd stick with the milk for your bones sake!
Think those are terrible? Well there are even more negative effects that soda can have on the body like diabetes, kidney issues, heart disease, and even breast and colon cancer! Even though you may be craving a soda at the time, just think about how much it really does effect your health, and how a satisfying taste is not worth all the risk!
Are you a first time customer to HealthDesigns.com? Save $5 with code: SOCIAL at the checkout. Happy shopping!