Itâ€™s grillinâ€™ season. And no matter what diet youâ€™re on, itâ€™s pretty hard to deny the appeal of a sizzling plate of barbecued goodness! But before you go and blow your nutritional regime, you might want to try tweaking your recipes. After all, it IS possible to create a healthy meal without compromising on flavor!
Check out these handy tips for a healthier barbecue:
- Boost the sauce flavor with low-calorie ingredients. Try adding soy sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, or chili sauce (all have have under 50 calories in two tablespoons).
- Donâ€™t overdo the sweetness. Yes, itâ€™s true, every good barbecue recipe requires a balance of both sweet and heat. But instead of adding a bunch of sugar, try adding a natural sweetener like fruit juice, molasses, or honey.
- Make meat your side and veggies your main. Switch your portions sizes and youâ€™ll be ingesting twice as many vegetables as you normally would Youâ€™ll be upping your fiber, vitamin, and mineral intake.
- Use lean cuts of skinless meat. Removing the skin from your chicken can cut the fat content in half. And make sure that all cuts of meat, whether itâ€™s chicken, beef, or pork, are lean and trimmed of fat. If you can, go for naturally raised organic meat (itâ€™s richer in nutrients and free of antibiotics and hormones).
- Donâ€™t overcook your meat. You may prefer it well-done, but meat that is cooked longer at a high temperature can lead to an increased risk of cancer. Try grilling meat in smaller portions to cut back on cooking time.
- Skip out on the processed stuff. Hot dogs, sausages, and bacon may make for tasty barbecue fare, but studies show that consumption of these â€˜meatsâ€™ can increase the risk of colorectal cancer by 42%.
- Try grilling good-for-you fish, like Omega 3-rich salmon. Get a wood plank for your grill and fire up some organic plank-grilled salmon. Youâ€™ll gain lean protein, improve your heart health, and give your body a rich source of healthy fats that promote longevity and anti-aging.
Looking to Buy Vitamins, Health Supplements, Herbs & Minerals Online? Check out healthdesigns for the best selection of brands, supplements, treatments for health conditions, and natural beauty care!