I go through way more boxes of tissues during the winter than during the summer. And during the cold months I so often feel sluggish and tired. For some reason, my body just doesnâ€™t hold up as well during the winter months and my immune system seems to go on vacation.
I have one of two options:
1. Suck it up, quit complaining, and wait for Spring to roll around.
2. Boost my immunity during the winter so that I feel good year-round.
(Hmmm... okay, the second option sounds better...)
If youâ€™re anything like me then you probably need some ideas for how to keep your immune system revved during the winter months. Check out these tips!
- Sleep. A body that is sleep-deprived is much more prone to illness and fatigue.
- Hydrate. Frigid air and dry heating systems rob your body of essential moisture. Be conscious of your water intake and be extra careful to hydrate if you consume a diuretic (alcohol, caffeine, etc...)
- Stick to the raw produce. Raw fruits and vegetables are chock full of the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are needed to boost immunity. Try a fruit smoothie for breakfast or a big spinach salad for lunch.
- Eat protein. Itâ€™s a necessary building block for a healthy immune system. Diets that are too high in carbohydrates and too low in protein will spike blood sugar and cause the immune system to suffer.
- Quit your sugar habit. Sugar destroys red blood cells (which work to fight off illness).
- Stay active. Exercise will give you more energy and a strong body is more resistant to sickness.
- Take a multi-vitamin. Check out healthdesignsâ€™s full array of multi-vitamins (Multi-Vitamins - Vitamins) to find a multi-vitamin that best suits your needs.
How do you boost immunity during the winter months? Comment to share your tips and tricks!