Who doesn't remember the Chia Pet? Those things were so much fun! Sprinkle some chia seeds onto your animal of choice and within a week they've grown hair! Amazing! But who would have thought that those very seeds are packed full of super healthy vitamins and minerals!
Chia seeds come from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, which is grown in Mexico. The seeds date back to the Mayan and Aztec cultures which it's said these seeds were used for supernatural powers.
Now you will probably not gain any supernatural ability, but what you will gain is some powerful nutrients! Here are the top 10 reason why everyone needs to add chia seeds to their diet!
- Packed full of omega 3 fats- The chia plant is one of the richest plant-based sources for Omega-3 fatty acids. They actually contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
- Great Source of Fiber- With 10 grams of fiber in only 2 tablespoons, chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber!
- Weightloss-Â Chia seeds absorb lots of water and expands in the stomach, which as a result increases fullnessÂ andÂ causes you to eat less.
- Great for Hydration-Â Chia seeds are popular with athletes because when chia seeds absorb water they turn into a gel-like substance keeping us hydrated for longer periods of time.
- High in Antioxidant- Chia seeds contain high amounts of antioxidants that contribute to fighting off diseases like cancer.
- High Quality of Protein- One of the highest quality of protein, chia seeds beat out the rest of the plant family with a 14% protein content. This can also help in reducing food cravings.
- Lower the Risk of Diabetes-Â Chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, which can help with controlling blood sugar levels.
- Add to Any Dish-Â You can easily add chia seeds to any meal to always get the extra nutrients, whether it's mixed in with your yogurt, salad, cereal, sauces, rices, the combinations are endless!
- Calcium-Â Among all the other great nutrients, chia seeds also have a high calcium content with an amazing 18% of the RDA in a single ounce!
- Improve Exercise Performance- A recent study showed that chia seeds can be partly replaced with Gatorade or other sports drinks as a way of carb loading for athletes.
So chia seeds are definitely worthy of being called a "superfood". So give them a try, you won't regret it!
Shop Chia Seedsâ†’Â http://goo.gl/W1FPXW